Monday 25 February 2013

The Kids' Table


Tonight we are having another famous dinner party. Now we have grown to a crowd of 7 as Judy has joined Bill here for 6 weeks. She will need a blog for her kindergartners  We had our standard dinner and I made the jerk chicken. (Derek Butch and Bill can debate which one is the jerk).  I added deviled eggs to the menu.  I think it was a welcome chance for Judy and me to escape to the kitchen.  It seemed like a stereotypical thing to do, but we were really just trying to miss the RJ Burnside work talk.

We enjoyed the company and Yuka was able to meet more Canadians.  I hope she does not return to Japan with the idea that Derek and Bill's shirts were in some way reflective of Canadian or even Bajan fashion sense.

We are almost reaching the limit of our table and we will need a Kids' table soon. No kid ever wanted to sit  there. I envy the people at the Kid's table. No expectations. At the kids' table you can talk about anything that comes to mind and make any noises you want. You don't need to be able to discuss anything of any sort of consequence. You don't need any table manners. You can make judgmental comments about anyone and everyone at the Kids' table. It must be very cleansing.

For the last 6 weeks I feel like I have been sitting at the kids' table. It's liberating, but sticky.
View photo.JPG in slide show
Our dinner party, loud shirts optional.

2 comments:

Paulo Gonçalves said...

Hello,
I have been visiting your blog.
Congratulations for your work!! An interesting and nice blog!!Amazing photos!!!
Good luck with your blog!
Greetings from Algarve, Portugal
Paulo Gonçalves

I invite you to visit my blog
http://viajaredescobrir.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

As I sit in chilly Minnesota I live vicariously through your blog, imagining the sea breezes and the warm sun. Okay, the taste of a cold beer on a hot day as well. Glad you are enjoying yourself. It has been far too long since we have seen each other. I love your reference to Derek's penchant for napping. I'm so happy some things never change :-)